For a few months now I've been stealthily working on my new big project, a budget/independent Caribbean site. Though the site is still in an early beta phase, feel free to take a look.
In researching cheap accommodations in one of the world's priciest regions for travel, I've often wondered if I might be able to identify the very cheapest bed in the Caribbean. Setting aside free accommodations—surprisingly common in the form of free campsites, couchsurfing spots, and beds offered up in exchange for volunteered labor—super-cheap beds are altogether less rare than you might think.
Here are a smattering of super bare bones beds in the region. I should clarify that beds even cheaper than these exist in the Caribbean, all of them just waiting for inhabitation by extreme shoestringers.
1. Rates for beds at the FUAJ youth hostel in Morne-Rouge, Martinique begin at €11 per night.
2. Rates at a campsite with access to facilities at Jungle Jeanie's By the Sea in Hopkins, Belize are just $7.50 per night.
3. A $9 dorm bed (or $15 for a private room sleeping up to three) can be found at Rancho Wendy in Bonao, Dominican Republic.
4. A hammock at Rosalie Forest Eco-Lodge in Rosalie, Dominica is just $13 per night.
5. The rate for a single room with shared facilities at Hotel Rios Tropicales in Lívingston, Guatemala begins at $8.